UPDATED skincare routine - being 20 and dealing with hormonal acne

If you've read my blog before you know about my struggles with acne. Throughout the years I've tested many products, but my still skin isn't clear. It still has its better and worse days, but this has been my skincare routine for the past year that has helped me keep it somewhat under control with my almost monthly facial treatments. Currently I mostly have acne scars on my chin and cheek area and on average three bumps that come and go.

*The links lead to my product reviews.

AM



1. Bioderma Sensibio Micellar Water

This micellar water is a staple in my skincare routine and I love to use it to remove all the oiliness that has surfaced on my skin by the morning.

2. pHformula A.C. Recovery

I put only a little of this on my problem spots if necessary.

3. Babe Sunscreen or pHformula SPOT ON Moisture Balance moisturizer

Babe Sunscreen SPF 50 was my must-have during the summer. Now that there's not as much sun and I don't spend so much time outside, I prefer to use the pHformula mattifying moisturizer.

4. Berrichi Eye Cream

I love how this creates a bit of an illusion that I am awake as I tap a small amount around my eye area.

PM



1. Bioderma Sensibio Micellar Water or Madara Make-Up Melting Oil

If I'm wearing any make-up, I will use either one of these products. Both are very effective and it really depends on my mood, which one I use. The Madara oil was a little unusual at first, because it's strange putting oil like this on my face, but it has sparkles in it and smells nice and literally melts my make-up off. For heavier eye make-up, I prefer to use the micellar water.

2. Simple Micellar Gel Face Wash

Double cleansing is actually quite important, because the previous step only removed my make-up, but the dirt and any buildup is still there, so I love to use this super gentle face wash.

3. Pixi Glow Tonic

I've written about this product before and I decided to try this again, because Glycolic Acid is really good for acne-prone skin. I don't use this every night, only when I feel like my skin needs it or isn't as sensitive, because this is still a chemical exfoliant.

4. pHformula A.C. Recovery or pHformula VITA A Cream

I switch between these every night or depending on my skin and apply to problem areas.

5. pHformula P.O.S.T. Recovery

This is still one of my favourite moisturizers, because the texture is so nice and spreadable, also giving you an opportunity to choose how much hydration you want.

6. Berrichi Eye Cream


Extra steps I do sometimes




  • Lumene Self-Tan Drops – I mix a few drops with my nighttime moisturizer for some Vitamin C boost and a nice sunkissed glow.
  • Dermaceutic Oil Reducing Mask – This mask contains glycolic acid and salicylic acid and bentonite clay, which makes it pretty powerful and I usually put this only on my problem spots to not cause any sensitivity. I'd say it's pretty effective.
  • Madara Detox Mask – I like to do face masks once a week, I usually have a mini spa night on Sunday to prepare for the next week. I really like this mask for my oily skin.
As for trying to balance my hormones, I try to get at least 8 hours of sleep, manage my stress, workout regularly, I drink lots of water and tea (especially green and spearmint tea), I avoid sugary snacks and drinks, lactose and caffeine. It's almost impossible to tame hormones and it can be very different for everyone, so it's important to just take care of yourself, try to stay positive and not let acne affect your life negatively. 

If you also struggle with hormonal acne, I wish you strength and luck, and if you've found something that changed your skincare game, then let me know in the comments :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

pHformula A.C. Recovery and P.O.S.T Recovery Cream - Review

Babe Facial Oil-Free Sunscreen SPF50+ Dry Touch - Review

DMK Danne Alkaline Wash for acne scars- MY EXPERIENCE