How to treat hormonal acne - diet and birth control pills

My seemingly never-ending battle with acne has led to try many things, but when you finally take step back and acknowledge that no external product is going to help, then it's time to focus on internal issues. I have hormonal acne - I know that because my skin gets usually worse before a period and it fluctuates a lot throughout the year as my hormones either calm down or brew up a storm. Also my hormones are all over the place as my periods tend to be irregular and cause other health issues. I've taken antibiotics for my skin before, but that didn't do anything, so I guess it's time for a different approach.

1. Hormone balancing diet

Before any drastic measures, I decided to try clean eating for my hormones. So after googling "hormone balancing diet", this is what I found out.

Foods to avoid: white/processed sugar, wheat flour, white rice, potatoes, dairy, cacao, fried/processed foods.

Nothing is more motivating for avoiding sugar, when your body is inflamed and you have red painful bumps on your face and in other places...

Foods to consume: vegetables, leafy greens, fruit, berries, meat (if not vegan), nuts and seeds, fish oil, green tea, supplements - zinc, probiotics, vitamin D.

I've now incorporated vegetables and salads into my every meal. Now I even prefer brown rice and whole grain pasta to regular ones and love to use oat flour and banana for baking healthier treats.

So as a sweets and comfort food lover the transition wasn't easy, but I've actually enjoyed cooking more and I've learned to make pesto pasta, whole grain pizza dough and poke bowl. So whenever I feel like eating junk food, I try to find a healthier substitute.

After three weeks, I didn't see much of a difference in my skin, but now almost two months later I can say that there is a difference. My cosmetologist said that my skin seemed clearer and happier with this new diet. I do feel better and lighter after each meal. Another big plus is no bloating!! I'll loosen my diet a bit and add a few cheat meals here and there, but I really enjoy this new diet.



2. Birth control pills

But just the diet wasn't enough for my skin and I really wanted to give my skin a break and let it heal its  scars. And the most effective way to tame your hormones is with birth control pills. So yes, I went to a gynecologist and I'm on the pill now. My skin started to calm down as soon as I started taking pills. A lot less painful red bumps and inflammation. A month later I can say my skin is a lot clearer and happier, though I still get smaller pimples here and there. It's interesting how now they are deeper under the skin, but at least a lot smaller and barely inflamed. 

I haven't really experienced side effects. I might be more emotional, but with my current mental health it's hard to say. In the beginning I had more intense headaches, but that could have also been stress. Otherwise  my health seems fine.

So I will keep you updated, whether this keeps my skin clear and happy. I don't really recommend going on the pill just for your skin issues, but if nothing else seems to be working, then might be time to try it. It's been good for me so far.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

pHformula A.C. Recovery and P.O.S.T Recovery Cream - Review

Babe Facial Oil-Free Sunscreen SPF50+ Dry Touch - Review

DMK Danne Alkaline Wash for acne scars- MY EXPERIENCE